Wednesday, December 22, 2010

True Meaning of Gifts

Holy Terror puts the last strip of tape on his gift to Parkour Boy. It's crooked as is the wrapping paper and bulky folds. The gift is one of the perfect the little boys have done and the favorite gifts I like looking at under the tree. With a kiss and a pat on the butt, I send him out and call for Super Wy to come back, so he can wrap his gifts.



As I wait for little man to join me, Holy Terror comes in with an old shipping box. He sets it very carefully on the bed and gives me a conspiratory grin. "I need some tape, please."



I hand it to him and he starts pulling off a too long piece.



"What's this?" I ask tapping the box.



"It's another gift for Super Wy." He shakes off the tape from his finger and opens the box flaps. There inside is one of Holy Terrors most treasured fire trucks. Super Wy comes running down the hall and Holy Terros hurries to close the box and we tape it up together.



Super Wy stands next to Holy Terror and looks at the box. "What that?"



Holy Terror smiles down at him. "You'll see on Christmas. Its a secret."



They giggle. I expected Holy Terror to let it sit a few hours before reopening it and taking his toy back. A few hours later, after the kids were put to bed, I went out to the front of the house and there under the tree was the box. Written in rough pen was "Super Wy".



This is the true meaning of gift giving. To give a little something of yourself to make someone you love happy. I can't wait for Super Wy to open it Christmas morning and know that Holy Terror thought enough of him to give up one of his toys.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.... it made me cry. {{{{HUGS}}}}

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete