Thursday, July 1, 2010

Slippin' Through My Fingers

This evening I felt like watching Mama Mia. I thought it was because I was in the mood for some ABBA, which I'm sure to an extent was correct. But, the real reason hit me when the bridal preparation scene came up and Merrill Streep started singing "Slipping through My Fingers".

I should have gotten a clue when my Facebook status a few minutes before began with, "I miss my daughter!"

This year she's really hit a milestone with her development. She spends most of her time with her girlfriends. Shares all her hopes, dreams, and secrets with them. They get most of her laughter and smiles for the day. When she's home, the phone is pressed against her ear as she talks with them.

Yes, I'm jealous...so, anyways, there I sat, watching a movie that usually her and I watch together...feeling a little lonely. The boys are being crazy. I'm constantly hitting pause to deal with their boyism. Then pausing again do deal with husbandism...the bridal scene's about to start and the phone rings.

Aargh!!!

I pause the movie yet again, and as I'm talking, who walks in? My daughter. She grabs the phone and starts to the room. Passing by the television, she see the frozen scene and stops.

"You watching Mama Mia?" she asks, almost accusatory.

I nod and whisper, "Yeah. Just paused to answer the phone." I put my attention back into the conversation.

When I'm done, I look up to restart the movie and find my daughter on the couch by me, waiting. "Man, I love this part."

I try not to turn uncool and focused on replaying, forcing the goofy smile from cropping on my face. And, like I said above, Merrill Streep started singing and it hit me. I just needed a little bit of mommy-daughter time with my precious, over-opinionated, stubborn, wildly wonderful Drama Queen.

If you don't know the song I'm talking about, here it is. Just click on the image.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't make you also think back to when you were the teenager on the end of the phone while your mom waited. I would be calling my mom and apologizing. I'll have to call my grandma 'cause she put up with that with me. What a beautiful moment. Beautiful family
    ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's so crazy how the roles have changed and evolved. I have to remember to thank my mother for her patience.

    ReplyDelete