Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Little Bragging

I write a lot about my little amigo Norris’ and the hubby but today I wanted to gloat on myself a tad bit per the urgings of my kids. In my first public writing submission, I received some great feedback from readers. This is the first feedback I’ve ever gotten on my work by actual readers and has had me floating on air the whole month.

To lay out the background, Anotherealm Online Speculative Fiction Magazine was having a writing contest and the theme is “Get a Job”. I submitted my story, titled "Corporate Interview", which you can link to here:
http://anotherealm.com then click on Contests and there it is.

As my first submission I goofed the formatting (okay, so sue me). So, weeks go by and I'm nervously checking the site and seeing the ratings go from 3 stars to 4 and I’m ecstatic. But then I find, weeks after submitting, that readers have commented in the forums on my story (gulp, nerves at thought of bad reviews).

Here are two of the coolest comments:

“Nicely done. I thought the descriptive language, tone, mood were all done very well. Congrats to A.R. for creating a really clear picture of the character's inner thoughts and emotional turmoil.” - ArthurS

“Outstandingly written. Almost Shakespearean. Or Milchian. The words, the fairest of candy, roll off the mind's tongue; sweet in texture. Beautifully done. Simply beautiful.”
– Loaded4bear

All the comments were positive in the story but one didn’t like the ending; thought the story was good but had issue with end (specifically said it was a cop-out). I got where he was coming from as I worried over the ending myself, and endings are not my best areas.


Oh well, can’t please everyone, I guess. I'm really excited and looking forward to the results. Okay, so there was my bragging, all done now. - Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment